Dog sitter gave away my puppy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sliph

Ok here is the situation. About two weeks ago my fiance had a family emergency where her sister called saying her husband had committed suicide and she needed to fly back to Maine asap to help deal with the sitation " we live in Florida".

She immediately of course got a plane ticket that day and left, but because of the very short notice was unable to take our puppy with her and due to my irregular work schedule there is no way I would be able to take care of the puppy properly while she was away. As much as I would have loved to I can't afford to lose my job to stay home and watch the dog.

Now before she left she went to our neighbors house who just happens to be the people we originally bought the dog from and explained the situation to them and they agreed that they would be able to take care of the dog until she was able to return, she also explained that she would most likely be gone for possibly a month. They still agreed that they would take care of the dog for us and there didn't appear to be any other issues. the matter seemed settled.

Today my fiance calls me extremely upset saying the neighbor had suddenly decided they could no longer handle keeping the dog and had given her away and that all of a sudden she doesn't remember agreeing to keep the dog that long and apparently was very rude to my fiance over the phone and refused to return any more calls. Granted she had kept the dog for two weeks but it was made very clear it could be up to a month to which she agreed upon originally.

My question is now is there anything legally we can do to these people for giving away our dog and possibly getting our money back as we did pay them for the dog as well when we originally bought it. I would also like to get back all the things we bought for the dog that we gave her like the leash , collar, food bowls ect. I paid for all of those things and would like them back as well and would really love my dog back if possible but im just not sure how to go about it.

As much as I would like to I do not want to storm over there house and cause a scene and get arrested myself because I think im too angry to be rational when I confront these people. Can I call the cops and have them go over the house with me when i demand my items back? Can I sue these people at all for anything if I cannot recover my dog? Or am I just screwed because I don't have anything in writing as this was all verbal agreements?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for any advice.

Yes. Small claims. Sue for the amount you paid for the dog and the value of any items that were not returned... unless they manage to return the dog to you, and you first need to ask/demand.

It is no different than asking them to take care of your house for a few weeks while you are away and they decide to sell it or give it away. Dogs are property too.

The police will not help you. This is a civil issue between you and your neighbor over property. They will just tell you to go to court. It is small claims and you do not need an attorney, but you could hire one if you wanted.

First- calmly confront the neighbor and insist that they return the dog to you or give you your money back. You purchased the dog, it was legally your property, and not theirs to give away (though they most certainly resold it and made twice the money).

Verbal agreements are still enforceable in court. It would help though to get some kind of written acknowledgment that you purchased the dog from them for a certain amount. This is easy to do if you have their email address... simply write a letter that says you want your dog back or whatever amount of money returned (don't threaten legal action or they may just ignore you). When they reply and make excuses they will most likely indirectly acknowledge the sale to you... and with that you are golden in court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back