Animal Injury, Dog Bite Dog Bite Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegbell3

This guy selling magazines drives up in my driveway. My dog immediately starts barking at the car. I am not dressed and go to get a robe. I peek out my bedroom window. The idiot gets out of his car all the while my dog keeps barking and begins nipping at him. The dumbass continues to walk around our garage, up our front side walk and to the front door where he begins ringing our doorbell. Our dog, after grabbing the back of his thigh, planting a couple of teeth into it (and draws blood), is now standing behind him barking. I tell the guy he should have never gotten out of his car and it is his fault as my dog was doing her job -- watching our house. She is current on vaccinations, etc., thank goodness. But if this yoyo should decide to sue, does he have a (good) leg to stand on? (Pardon the pun).

He has a legal standing to sue. Applicable laws strictly provides that dog owners are liable to injury caused by their pets whether such dog has no history of violence. It is the responsibility of pet owners to see to it that their pets will not cause any harm to anybody.

MOST personal injury attorneys don't really like to take dog bite cases unless there is a scar, surgery or some permanent type of damage caused by the bite. If it's just a case of a little bit of blood being drawn they may end up filing a small claim with your homeowners insurance (if you have it), other than that I wouldn't really worry about a huge lawsuit against you, unless the guy finds a hard up PI Attorney. For most of them, an injury that small is not worth the time or the costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back