Dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad31606

My neighbors have a dog that's very dangerous. It's a big dog they keep on a little chain and many times its broken the chain and attacked my dogs in my yard. To get along and be neighborly I let it go one time it even caused my dog to limp for a week. So I was taking my dog out for a walk last week down the street when I heard the neighbors kid yell for me to watch out and the next thing I knew the dog lunged at me trying to tear my little dog out of my arms and it knocked me down in the ditch and bit me several times during this ordeal it broke my iPhone 5. I went to the ER to get treated and I tried to get ahold of them for days and eventually did get through to let them know that my insurance covered the ER visit and I won't worry about the medical stuff as long as they agree to replace my iPhone 5 (which is $600 because I had to buy my phone since I don't use a contract carrier). I'm in nursing school and that's what I use to study on the go etc. The neighbor asked me for a week to see what he could do and it's been over a week so I'm going to the court house tomorrow to file a small claims suit against them for my iPhone and also for my ER bills since I had to go through the trouble of going to court.

If insurance covered your medical bills, I doubt any court would allow you to double dip. The iPhone might be a stretch, too.

Small claims won't give you money, if you prevail. You'll simply get a judgment and have more work to do to try and get paid.

I suggest you report the dog and the owner to the police or animal control. You need to get this documented for your sake and the safety of your community.

I definitely agree that you should report this to animal control - you don't want you, your dogs or another person or their dog(s) to get seriously hurt.

If insurance paid for your ER visit, I don't see a court/judge ordering any additional money be paid for the visit.

You can try suing in small claims court for the money you are out for your phone. You may or may not win a judgment.

The question was is this my best course of action? I find it completely unacceptable that I'm supposed to foot the bill and just buy myself a new $600 iPhone because their dog knocked me down in a disgusting ditch and attacked me, and caused bodily harm and permanent scarring.

jjohndoe, please do not reply to old threads. This thread is from 6-2013. It is most likely the original poster has taken some action by now. Thanks.

Another moderator apparently later deleted post by jjohndoe. Betty3

Last edited:
My neighbors have a dog that's very dangerous. It's a big dog they keep on a little chain and many times its broken the chain and attacked my dogs in my yard. To get along and be neighborly I let it go one time it even caused my dog to limp for a week. So I was taking my dog out for a walk last week down the street when I heard the neighbors kid yell for me to watch out and the next thing I knew the dog lunged at me trying to tear my little dog out of my arms and it knocked me down in the ditch and bit me several times during this ordeal it broke my iPhone 5. I went to the ER to get treated and I tried to get ahold of them for days and eventually did get through to let them know that my insurance covered the ER visit and I won't worry about the medical stuff as long as they agree to replace my iPhone 5 (which is $600 because I had to buy my phone since I don't use a contract carrier). I'm in nursing school and that's what I use to study on the go etc. The neighbor asked me for a week to see what he could do and it's been over a week so I'm going to the court house tomorrow to file a small claims suit against them for my iPhone and also for my ER bills since I had to go through the trouble of going to court.

Before you go to court, spend more money for the filing and service of your small claims lawsuit, even if you prevail, you can't get a turnip to give blood.
The person you describe sounds a lot like some "dude down on his luck".
So, even if you win a lawsuit for $3,000, I bet dude doesn't have it, and if dude doesn't have it, you can't get it!
We can't right each and every wrong, transgression, or injury that we suffer.
More often that not, we can only "grin and bear it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back