Criminal Law Does Infraction (Petty Theft) Denies US Citizenship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpRequired

I am a permanent resident (green card holder) since last 4 and half years now. I would be eligible to apply for my US Citizenship in few months. However, during this 4 and half years of my stay in US, I was charged with Petty Theft Infraction (first time offense). I was caught shoplifting at store and the officer charged me with Petty Theft PC 484-488. I hired a criminal attorney and we pleaded "NO CONTEST" and she worked out a deal in court to get my charges reduce to Petty Theft Infraction PC 490.1. The DA finally brought down the charges from Petty Theft Misdemeanor to PC 490.1 Infraction.
I will be eligible to apply for US Citizenship in few months. I am seeking advice to find out, if Petty Theft Infraction is considered as a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude or not? Will it effect my US Citizenship Application? Will I be denied of US Citizenship? Is Infraction considered as a CMT which can effect in US Citizenship application? Kindly, please advice.
Thanks,

This is an old thread and I was cleaning up some of the forums. Convictions for shoplifting can be considered in the determination of whether or not an applicant has "good moral character." The time period since you last committed a crime may be a factor. One may need to steer clear of criminal offenses for a number of years (my recollection is that it might be five.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back