Does foreign income and foreign resources count towards supplemental security income?

Lenscam

Jurisdiction
Washington
if you are senior citizen and lived in foreign county for last 3-4 years and earned passive income (interest and capital gains income) - and now if you plan to come to USA ...and that passive income still continues - this passive income will reduce or stop the monthly supplemental security income ?

Same question about countable resources more than $2000 in value - i.e. if those assets are in foreign country - can it affect your eligibility to get SSI

Same question about WA state Medicaid eligibility - if senior citizen has assets in foreign country more than allowed limit for Medicaid and income more than the limit - does it affect Medicaid eligibility - I know income and assets affect your eligibility for either SSI or WA Medicaid but not sure if foreign passive income like pension or bank interest and assets like home affect your eligibility?

Emphasis of this question is on foreign income/assets

if you are senior citizen and lived in foreign county for last 3-4 years and earned passive income (interest and capital gains income) - and now if you plan to come to USA ...and that passive income still continues - this passive income will reduce or stop the monthly supplemental security income ?

Same question about countable resources more than $2000 in value - i.e. if those assets are in foreign country - can it affect your eligibility to get SSI

Same question about WA state Medicaid eligibility - if senior citizen has assets in foreign country more than allowed limit for Medicaid and income more than the limit - does it affect Medicaid eligibility - I know income and assets affect your eligibility for either SSI or WA Medicaid but not sure if foreign passive income like pension or bank interest and assets like home affect your eligibility?

Emphasis of this question is on foreign income/assets
Yes it does. Not reporting said income or assets would be a federal crime.

Same question about WA state Medicaid eligibility - if senior citizen has assets in foreign country more than allowed limit for Medicaid and income more than the limit - does it affect Medicaid eligibility

Yes, it does, and that foreign income is almost certainly taxable income for U.S. tax purposes, which means it needs to go on your federal income tax return. Failure to do that may result in a steep civil penalty or, though much less likely, being criminally prosecuted for tax evasion. Reporting the income does not necessarily mean paying federal income tax. If you pay income tax/capital gains tax to the foreign country for the income paid to you from that country you may be able to take a foreign tax credit on your U.S. return to offset some or all of that income. You may also qualify for some tax benefits in one or both countries under the income tax treaty the U.S. has with that country.

Back