Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Does a 2nd conviction to shoplifting carry a mandatory jail time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ancientfuture1

Charges of shoplifting have been forwarded; alleging a prior offense within five years. How might the the "alleging" part impact the punishmrnt?

I ask to forgive my ediquette with the original post. My intention was to make it as simple as possiable because I was using an Ipad and find typing in it frustrating. I am glad I found The Law.com; being that I see it provides valuable information and advice from the knowledgable members. I plan to use this site for what it provides, and in the following post I will state the case pending in detail. Thank You for your attentiveness.

If the prior offense is "alledged" then the DA or courts do not have that info yet. Once it becomes clear yay or nay then the charge might be changed which would also change sentencing options

Petty theft is a misdemeanor.
Petty theft when you have a prior conviction for theft MAY be charged as a felony.
The primary difference is the amount of jail time, though you may not actually serve any time.
The worst of it may be the fact you have a felony on your record because it will follow you a long time.
Expect probation, fines, and community service hours.... but jail time isn't out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back