Doctor's office owes me money

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon1985

A doctor's office owes me money. I had a procedure done in April, 08 the doctor's office informed me I had to pay in full becuase I had not reached my deductible with my insurance, so I went ahead and paid. A month later (May, 08)I received a statement from my ins. stating that they had payed a portion of the procedure to the doctor's office a few days after the procedure. I confirmed the onformation with my ins. and then called the doctor's office.

They told me that on May 30th, the end of the month, all of the accounting was done and that if they owed any money to patients that would be they day they would issue and mail me a check. June comes around and this was June 12th to be exact, I called the doctor's office because I had not received a check. The office manager who claimed to be Debbie Bryant at the time said she issued me a check on 5/16/08. I mentioned that sometimes the mailman does not leave our mail if my boyfriend has parked near the mailbox. I regret this now because that is not exactly an issue. In this town if anything is blocking the mailbox within 15 feet the mailman is not required to leave the mail, he is allowed to bypass the house and leave it the next day as long as there is nothing blocking the mailbox... Anyway, she told me to contact my post office to check if they were withholding any mail, and that if they were not to call her back and she would call her bank to verify the check had not been cashed. A few hours later she called and told me the check was not cashed, but that the bank would charge her a $30 stop payment fee and stated she was not going to pay becuase it was not her fault that I did not receive the check. At this point she had also said the check was sent the 15th of May after she initially had said it was sent the 16th. She said that if I wanted my money she would cut me a check less the $30 fee. I did not accept. I asked her to send me a check in full becuase that it what they owed be, I am not resposible for any fees their bank charges them. My boyfriend also spoke to her and she continued to claim she would not pay the fee. I called again wanting to speak with the doctor and they put her on the phone again. She repeated what she said before and said this is what the doctor said. I told her I would be filing a complaint with the BBB since continued to refuse to send me my money in full.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and her response included her mentioning I have issue with my mail, along with stating I was irrate and using profanity. She stated she would gladly cut me a check minus a$30 stop payment fee and mentioned the name of the bank and said that any stop payent fees are the patients responsibility to pay and that this was their policy. No refund policy is displayed in their office!. Also she stated her last name was different from what she told me, it turns out she shares the same last name as the doctor! I called that bank she mentioned to find out what their policy was on checks. For example how many days need to pass for a check to be voided. I thought maybe if this woman continues to refuse me my money in full becuase of a stop payment fee, maybe I could be the bigger person and wait that period and get my money back in full. The check would be voided and there would be no other reason for them to withhold the money they owe me in full. While on the phone with the bank I decided I would ask what their stop payment fee was and guess what? They sait it was $18 and that is for all accounts, business and personal.

I should not be responsible for any fees, especially now that I know the office manager lied about the cost of the fee, she lied about her name, who knows what else she lied about. I think I am very well entitled to get my money back in full. But I don't know what to do from here. I have 2 days left to give my response to the BBB as to whether I accept the office managers response, and why. Obviously I don't, but I don't know what is going to happen from there.. Its not enought money for me to hire a lawyer on my own. The Legal Aid Society does not help in a case like this... I dont' know what to do...

Sue the bad people in small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back