Doctor's note

JulieJ

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hi. I changed the date on a doctor note for my daughter's school. She's in first grade. The school called the doctor and he said he hasn't seen her in over a year. She was sick but nothing too bad to warrant a doctor's visit. The doctor called me fired me from his office and said I'm in trouble. My atty said it might just blow over. What should i do? Should I call the principal?

I would expect it to blow over... With the exception of the part about being fired.

Find new employment and move on. Your daughter will have an unexcused absence... no big deal.

The most damage here is regarding your employment and that you likely won't get positive feedback from the former employer.

It's worth noting that your post doesn't appear to raise any legal issue (unless some obscure Indiana law makes it a crime to submit a falsified doctor's note to a school).

What should i do?

Refraining from falsifying information you submit to your child's school would be a darn good idea.

I have to wonder why you did this in the first place. Does your kid's school really require a doctor's note for any absence on account of illness? That would be phenomenally silly.

Should I call the principal?

Do you think I should apologize to the Principal

Obviously, the principal has no good reason to trust anything you say going forward. Whether you can smooth that over by talking with or apologizing to the principal is something we obviously obviously have no way of knowing.

Back