Doctor sends medical bills to collections agency

MartinBras

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I used a doctor for a hand injury. He is a sleaze and, like most doctors I know, tries to put everything he can through my insurance. He gave me an expensive splint or brace and other things for my sprained fingers. A friend told me that it seemed very severe and I should get a second opinion. The second doctor seemed to think the first doctor didn't know what he was doing and told me that I shouldn't use the brace. I told the first doctor I would return the brace but it was basically "you use it you buy it." But I didn't need it and should never have needed it in the first place. The insurance company wants a copay too. What can I do? This is such medical fraud?

I used a doctor for a hand injury. He is a sleaze and, like most doctors I know, tries to put everything he can through my insurance. He gave me an expensive splint or brace and other things for my sprained fingers. A friend told me that it seemed very severe and I should get a second opinion. The second doctor seemed to think the first doctor didn't know what he was doing and told me that I shouldn't use the brace. I told the first doctor I would return the brace but it was basically "you use it you buy it." But I didn't need it and should never have needed it in the first place. The insurance company wants a copay too. What can I do? This is such medical fraud?

You can pay what it is alleged you owe.
You can ignore the demands to pay, and you'll probably be hounded by collection scavengers.

Or, you can file bankruptcy.

Your call, mate, choose wisely for your sake.

Did you really mean doctor sent medical bills to collection agcy. or did you mean ins. company? You will most likely be required to pay what you are told you owe.

If you actually saw this doctor, you owe the co-pay. If you actually received the brace, you owe for the brace. That another doctor gave you a different modality does not invalidate the services you received from the first.

Back