Do verbal agreements hold up in claims?

ggarcia94

Jurisdiction
California
I was recently in a car accident and filed a claim? I claimed the other driver was at fault. Now the other driver called me angry saying i claimed it was my fault and i changed my story, which i didn't. If he claims i made a verbal agreement with him can it hold up in a claim? Even though i never signed anything and was not recorded. I also have a 3rd party witness who testified and agrees with my side of the story. Can this guy take me to court if he wants to?

Your ins. co. & his ins. co. will decide on fault.

Anyone can sue anyone else at any time but that doesn't mean he/she will win.

I was recently in a car accident and filed a claim? I claimed the other driver was at fault. Now the other driver called me angry saying i claimed it was my fault and i changed my story, which i didn't. If he claims i made a verbal agreement with him can it hold up in a claim? Even though i never signed anything and was not recorded. I also have a 3rd party witness who testified and agrees with my side of the story. Can this guy take me to court if he wants to?

Why would you care what anyone said if it isn't true?
If he sues you, he sues you.
He has to PROVE his assertions.
You don't need to do much, except to say if asked and its true, you never made any agreement oral or written with the plaintiff and never admitted the incident was YOUR fault.

A judge will decide.
Relax, and report EVERY accident to the police and YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER.
That's why we buy insurance.

Now, if you weren't insured on the date and time of the occurrence, that's going to be a big problem for you.

This is a common occurrence, not to worry. When money is in issue and there isn't anyone around to prove a lie (at the moment) the story may change. Then it comes down to issues of proof (as stated above by @army judge ) as well as credibility. I wouldn't worry about it and let your attorney and / or insurance handle the matter. They surely have experience dealingt with lying claimants! Good luck.

Back