Do I need to move my washer and dryer

Doriana bercea

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
My washer and dryer are located in the exclusive use area of the basement that is allocated to the other unit in the house and they want me to remove it. The deed also says (this I hope it is not my own interpretation) that each unit excludes other installations and finishes for the furnishings of utility services or waste removal which are within such unit, but exclusively serves the other unit and that I should have right and easement to use

You'll have to provide more details.

Describe the home. Use words like "two or three story multi-family" or "side by side duplex" or something else.

Are you an owner or tenant?

If tenant, what does your lease say about your use of the basement?

If owner, with whom do you own and occupy the home?

Is there another washer/dryer there besides yours?

The deed also says (this I hope it is not my own interpretation) that each unit excludes other installations and finishes for the furnishings of utility services or waste removal which are within such unit, but exclusively serves the other unit and that I should have right and easement to use

It wouldn't be your own interpretation if you copied from the deed word for word and put quotation marks at each end. Please do so.

Last but not least, who is telling you that you can't have your washer/dryer where it is? Why? Something let up to this. Did you just put them there? Or have they been there for a while?

Last edited:

Describe the home. Use words like "two or three story multi-family" or "side by side duplex" or something else.

It wouldn't be your own interpretation if you copied from the deed word for word and put quotation marks at each end. Please do so.

Last but not least, who is telling you that you can't have your washer/dryer where it is? Why? Something let up to this. Did you just put them there? Or have they been there for a while?[

Last but not least, who is telling you that you can't have your washer/dryer where it is? Why? Something let up to this. Did you just put them there? Or have they been there for a while?
My washer and dryer are located in the exclusive use area of the basement that is allocated to the other unit in the house and they want me to remove it. The deed also says (this I hope it is not my own interpretation) that each unit excludes other installations and finishes for the furnishings of utility services or waste removal which are within such unit, but exclusively serves the other unit and that I should have right and easement to use

I am the owner of Unit1 of a two condominium units building. The basement is divided into 2 areas of "exclusive use" allocated to each unit and a common area. My washer and dryer are located in the basement storage area designated as "exclusive use" for Unit2. Both washer and dryer have been there since in purchased the condominium in 2018 and were part of the purchase. The only thing i had to do was to connect the dryer to my electric panel. The owners of unit2 are asking me to remove my washers and dryer considering that the area where they are located is designated as exclusive use to unit 2. The condominium plan designates the area where my washer and dryers are as exclusive use for unit2, however the deed also says under the unit exclusions that "other installations and finishes for the furnishings of utility services or waste removal which are within such unit, but exclusively serves the other unit and that I should have right and easement to use". So i wonder if the washer and dryer are included in this category from the deed. Unit2 has their own washer and dryer.

Last edited:
My washer and dryer are located in the exclusive use area of the basement that is allocated to the other unit in the house and they want me to remove it.
If YOU aren't authorized to have stuff there (because the area is exclusive to another unit), then yes, you need to move your "stuff". A washer and dryer don't furnish utility services.

however the deed also says under the unit exclusions that "other installations and finishes for the furnishings of utility services or waste removal which are within such unit, but exclusively serves the other unit and that I should have right and easement to use". So i wonder if the washer and dryer are included in this category from the deed. Unit2 has their own washer and dryer.

The part I put in bold is important. It says that you get an easement for things needed for the furnishing of utility services (electric, water, gas, telephone, etc) or waste removal for your unit that are located elsewhere. A washer and dryer are not part of the systems for providing any of those services. So that provision in the deed does not help you. Absent something else in the deeds that would give a you right to have your washer and dryer there it appears to me you'll need to move them because they are located in your neighbor's space.

Back