do i have to give information to police/can i refuse to testify

Status
Not open for further replies.

domjdavis85

about two months ago i was arrested by the police because i bought some stolen goods from an acquantance, not knowing that they were stolen..i bought a computer and a dvd player...the computer had a tracking device on it..i used the computer for school and the dvd player i did not need so i tried to sell it on craigslist, the police tracked me down and i was arrested for receiving stolden goods and attempting to obtain property under false pretense..in the interrogation the police questioned me for at least 5 hours stating that if i didnt tell them everything i know about the person who i received this stuff from that they would charge me with burgalry (since it was discovered that the items were stolen from several break ins in the area. luckily due to my clean record prior to this i was put on a felony diversion program where i am doing 225 hours of community service and in a year and a half this matter will be expunged from my record...

as stated the police told me that if i didnt tell them at least a name that they would try to put all of these break ins on me, and not knowing much about the law i believed them and did give them a name ..

now recently they have been coming to my house trying to find me to help them find this person who i bought the stolen items from....they have issued an arrest warrant for him but have not been able to find him....while i do want to help the police...i feel that i have already been given my punishment and should remove myself from this..i am worried 1) for my safety, this person knows where i stay and i do not want to help the police or testify in court for fear of my safety...this person has ties to a crooked police officer, so despite the fact that the police at the beginning told me that this information i gave them would be anonymous, it has gotten back to him through this police officer that i gave him information and i do not want myself or my family hurt....a

i am wondering if i have to testify....or is there a way i can get some sort of restraining order or something on the police so they can stop coming by my house and job looking for me to give them more information.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court.

Sound familiar?

the more you talk, the more they will return. Conversely, the less you talk, the more they will try to make it hurt. Such is the life of the informant.

is there a way i can stop the police from coming to my job at least...they are coming to my job and asking my coworkers/managers about where i am, and showing them pictures of the suspect asking them if they have seen him around me....one of my coworkers said that the police said "we need some information, we think domjdavis85 has been hanging out with a bad crowd of people " ....isnt there some sort of confidentiality breach they are breaking.

isnt there some sort of confidentiality breach they are breaking.

No. If your employer does not want them coming around the business and creating a disturbance then he needs to make the police aware of that. If he does not object then there is no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back