Do I Have a Lawsuit Against My School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto

Everything was going good at school near the beginning of this year, but then the school principle retired and a new one came in. This new principle has been threatening to expel me from school because I've been unable to attend classes even though I have a legitimate reason for not attending.

Out of the blue, we received a letter from school saying I had been expelled, but they had never even discussed the issue with us before. And the interesting part is, they hadn't actually expelled me at all, the letter just said they did. We rang the school and scheduled a meeting with the principle to appeal the decision. At the meeting he wouldn't listen to anything we had to say and told me I'm no longer allowed to go to school. He said I would have to sign an exit form to cease my enrolment at the school within 7 days, otherwise they would expel me. And I was told I wasn't allowed to attend classes anymore even though I was still enrolled there. They were very unwelcoming when I did attend classes too. One time when I was at school my year level manager came and yelled at me and asked me why I was at school and what I was doing there and kept telling me that she was going to expel me.

We didn't sign the exit form and it's been over 7 days, and they haven't expelled me yet. We've been trying to appeal the decision with the principle, but he just keeps saying he'll think about it and get back to us but he never does. And when we try to contact him he pretends to be busy and avoids speaking with us. We've tried to schedule another meeting with him, but the secretary says she can't schedule meetings for him (which obviously isn't true) and whenever we call the school and try to speak to him, they say he's in a meeting and can't talk at the moment but he'll ring us after the meeting, but he never does.

We were meant to receive a call yesterday to let us know if he had reconsidered his decision, but he hasn't rang us yet and he most likely won't.

Do we a have a lawsuit against the school? They're telling me I'm not allowed to go to school when I'm still enrolled there, and they're telling me to leave the school or they'll expel me (and they're not even allowed to expel me because I have a legitimate reason for not attending classes).

Any advice/tips on what to do?

I'm from Australia btw.

Last edited:
I am not sure we have Australian experts in this forum. I would consult with a local attorney to make sure you get correct advice. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back