Consumer Law, Warranties Do I have a case for not being told about a refund policy prior to purchase?

Jurisdiction
Other
Hello! My question is basically in the title, here's a little more context.

I enrolled in an online program (that I'm going to keep nameless) that charges about $10,000 per year. For various reasons, chief among them being that I haven't had the time to keep up with it like I've wanted and I didn't really feel like it was worth the price tag, I began the withdrawal process and asked for a refund--not the whole thing, just the $4500 or so for the remaining time of the program I haven't used. They told me that they don't do refunds.

Now, I recognize that refund policies are subject to state law, not federal law. My issue is not with them not having a refund policy. At no point prior to requesting a refund was I notified of this. Their website says nothing about it, and I've checked back through my correspondence with them prior to making the payment, and the policy wasn't stated there either. My understanding is that federal law requires that refund policies be clearly and explicitly stated. So I'm wondering: is there a case here, or should I just let it go? I know the people in the program--I don't believe anyone actively set out to deceive me, but I can't help but feel a little cheated. When I raised the matter of not having known about their refund policy, their response was "Oh, shoot, we'll keep that in mind for next time." I thought that was a cruddy response at best.

Some final, miscellaneous details: I'm in Virginia. I have no idea where this business is licensed, but my best guess is Oregon. I made the payment via wire. I don't want the whole amount of the payment back, just the part that I didn't use. I recognize that all legal answers boil down to "it depends," I just want to know if this mistake is totally on me, or if them failing to make their policy clear makes them liable.

Thank you!

There's no overreaching requirement for them to notify you about refunds. Best bet is to read whatever contract you have. What sort of "service" are we talking about here.

Further, you're incorrect about "federal law." There is no such thing. The Virginia Consumer Protection Act refund provisions only apply to retail sale of merchandise, not for rescinding service contracts.

My understanding is that federal law requires that refund policies be clearly and explicitly stated.

Where/how did you acquire this understanding? It's not true.

The default rule - unless something says otherwise - is that money paid in exchange for goods/services is non-refundable. You mentioned at least twice in your post that the documentation relating to this program says nothing about refunds. That pretty much ends the discussion.

Hello! My question is basically in the title, here's a little more context.

I enrolled in an online program (that I'm going to keep nameless) that charges about $10,000 per year. For various reasons, chief among them being that I haven't had the time to keep up with it like I've wanted and I didn't really feel like it was worth the price tag, I began the withdrawal process and asked for a refund--not the whole thing, just the $4500 or so for the remaining time of the program I haven't used. They told me that they don't do refunds.

Now, I recognize that refund policies are subject to state law, not federal law. My issue is not with them not having a refund policy. At no point prior to requesting a refund was I notified of this. Their website says nothing about it, and I've checked back through my correspondence with them prior to making the payment, and the policy wasn't stated there either. My understanding is that federal law requires that refund policies be clearly and explicitly stated. So I'm wondering: is there a case here, or should I just let it go? I know the people in the program--I don't believe anyone actively set out to deceive me, but I can't help but feel a little cheated. When I raised the matter of not having known about their refund policy, their response was "Oh, shoot, we'll keep that in mind for next time." I thought that was a cruddy response at best.

Some final, miscellaneous details: I'm in Virginia. I have no idea where this business is licensed, but my best guess is Oregon. I made the payment via wire. I don't want the whole amount of the payment back, just the part that I didn't use. I recognize that all legal answers boil down to "it depends," I just want to know if this mistake is totally on me, or if them failing to make their policy clear makes them liable.

Thank you!
Is this an online college or university?

If so, the refund policy is probably noted in their catalog and the deadline was most likely within the first 3 weeks of the program.

Back