DMV error caused arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingbird

I am an FHV (For Hire Vehicle) driver/owner in New York City. I recently during the summer received three traffic tickets. I neglected to pay for them and eventually received a suspension notice in late September. I went to the Manhattan DMV in October and paid the fee to lift the suspension along with setting a trial date for all three tickets. I received a receipt for all this and then left.

In November I got pulled over for an outdated inspection sticker. However they also said I had a suspended license. I was arrested and held for 24 hours in a cell. After I got out I went to the DMV and I was told that it was all a computer error and it would clear up after 48 hours. The suspension notice that I had taken care of in October was for some reason still in there.

Anyway as a result of this arrest and license confiscation I lost several days of work. I would like to collect that lost money from the city and I want to know the best way to go about it. Thank you.

Were you actually held for 24 hours? That's pretty serious. Have you spoken to anyone at this point, professionally or at the DMV? If all is exactly as you say, then you would seem to be entitled to compensation for work and possibly for the incarceration. What did the police do when you told them you had receipts and that all of this must have been an error? Aso please feel free to contact us directly regarding your case as there might be more assistance required than can be provided here.

Originally posted by kingbird
I am an FHV (For Hire Vehicle) driver/owner in New York City. I recently during the summer received three traffic tickets. I neglected to pay for them and eventually received a suspension notice in late September. I went to the Manhattan DMV in October and paid the fee to lift the suspension along with setting a trial date for all three tickets. I received a receipt for all this and then left.

In November I got pulled over for an outdated inspection sticker. However they also said I had a suspended license. I was arrested and held for 24 hours in a cell. After I got out I went to the DMV and I was told that it was all a computer error and it would clear up after 48 hours. The suspension notice that I had taken care of in October was for some reason still in there.

Anyway as a result of this arrest and license confiscation I lost several days of work. I would like to collect that lost money from the city and I want to know the best way to go about it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back