1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

DmV did not record my transfer now being sued by party of actual owner

Discussion in 'Drivers License, Vehicle Registration' started by Archie1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Archie1

Archie1 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    sent in transfer to dmv over a year ago and they have not processed it yet New owner of the car had an accident and now the other party trying to sue me as the "owner" of the vehicle. I kept a copy the title I submitted last year.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

There is no trying to sue there is only sue or not sue.

Have you been served with a summons and complaint?

Or is it just talk.

3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

DMV is claiming it was not received? Did you mail it or deliver it in person? You can also do it online.

To be clear, we are talking about the owners release of liability, the document attached to the title. It is not enough for the buyer to submit the title for transfer... Owner must release liability. Are you certain you did all that?

If it was not completed then the buyer would never have obtained registration.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Please explain what "trying to sue" means.

Beyond that, you didn't ask a question, so it's unclear what sort of response you're seeking.