Divorce papers filed in wrong county

Jurisdiction
Kansas
I was recently served divorce papers. Kansas legal services prepared the paperwork for my soon to be ex wife. After looking over paperwork it was filed in Sedgwick County ks. we both reside in Pratt, ks. There are address discrepencies such as possesion of the house is an address in wichita. Once again we both reside in Pratt, Ks. What do i do who do i contact and how do i go about contacting them. It seems to me all the paperwork is botched. Thank You

What do i do who do i contact and how do i go about contacting them.

The way you asked those questions suggests that you would be wise to have an attorney.

However, if you want to go it alone you file a response to the petition that includes a motion for change of venue to Pratt County on the grounds that you both reside there. As for errors, they can easily be corrected.

What do i do who do i contact and how do i go about contacting them.

Does your wife have a lawyer, or is she representing herself? The obvious first step is to call her or her lawyer and point out that the paperwork was filed in the wrong county and ask that she dismiss the case and re-file in the proper county. If she doesn't do that, then you file a motion to change venue to the proper county. I suggest you consult with a local divorce attorney.

The way you asked those questions suggests that you would be wise to have an attorney.

However, if you want to go it alone you file a response to the petition that includes a motion for change of venue to Pratt County on the grounds that you both reside there. As for errors, they can easily be corrected.

Thank you Kansas legal services did the paperwork for her. I wasnt sure if i could just send an e mail or if i needed to contact Kansas legal services through a court document.

Thank you Kansas legal services did the paperwork for her. I wasnt sure if i could just send an e mail or if i needed to contact Kansas legal services through a court document.

Unless Kansas Legal Services is listed on the petition as your wife's attorney, I doubt that KLS will do anything but refer you to your wife, which is what you should be doing anyway if she is acting as her own attorney.

If she doesn't cooperate, you'll have to file appropriate court papers. Phone calls, emails, letters to the judge, none of that counts.

I was recently served divorce papers. Kansas legal services prepared the paperwork for my soon to be ex wife. After looking over paperwork it was filed in Sedgwick County ks. we both reside in Pratt, ks. There are address discrepencies such as possesion of the house is an address in wichita. Once again we both reside in Pratt, Ks. What do i do who do i contact and how do i go about contacting them. It seems to me all the paperwork is botched. Thank You

Could it be that the paperwork reflected the address of someone's paramour?

I've seen that happen a couple of times just to throw salt in the woulds of the other spouse.

I've also seen plenty of mistakes made by the sloppy, carelessness of the form filler.

Back