Corporate Law Dissolving a Partnership Fairly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help4JandG

I am in the process of dissolving a business partnership and I have a few questions regarding how to ensure it is dissolved while standing my ground on issues that I feel are only fair. Let me start out by stating that this partnership has only been going on for about 4 months and have only had 2 actual paying customers.

I unfortunately do not have a lot of available capital to pay money for an expensive attorney yet my partner has one already. They are making demands that I feel are not fair and would inhibit my ability to recover properly in my opinion. When providing me advice regarding this, please note that we have Never signed any formal agreement about the partnership so we will be falling into the default state agreement of business partnership for the state of Florida.

1. They want me to pay my outstanding debt for the business, of which I am in complete agreement with and have already advised them and the attorney of. The issue is they want to also retain Everything that the business entailed including all equipment that was purchased, website, business name, logo's (of which I created myself and are copyrighted), documents, etc. The problem is that the portion of my debt that they are wanting me to pay is covering all of these items and I don't feel that is fair to pay for all of these items and then hand them over to them.
Am I wrong or do I have a leg to stand on?

2. They want me to turn specific items over to them but they are unwilling to sign for these items and state that those items will not be altered until the dissolution is completed. My fear is that they will be vindictive and alter things that are turned over and claim they were turned over imporperly or lock me out of things that I should have access to until the agreement is reached. I am willing to sign this type of receipt of items agreement stating that I will not alter anything but they are unwilling.

I have put in writing the agreements I am comfortable with, will pay back entire debt agreed upon and included interest, and if they would like specific items that I have paid for I would like them to remove that as a portion of my debt to the business. We have 2 outstanding clients and I have agreed to handle one of the clients that I am more familiar with and they can handle the other that they are more familiar with and all proceeds will go towards the outstanding debt. They are unwilling to agree to these requests and are now pushing towards litigation which I cannot afford and my fear is I will end up paying everything and having to hand everything I have paid for over to them. Thank you for your any help you provide me and I appreciate your time.

...They are unwilling to agree to these requests and are now pushing towards litigation which I cannot afford and my fear is I will end up paying everything and having to hand everything I have paid for over to them...
Unfortunately, since there is no meeting of the minds on the agreements drawn, you would be better off if you actually hired your own attorney due to the fact that is not just debt that is at stake here, but also, intellectual property. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back