disregarding an officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattodell

While driving on the highway on my way to work I found myself stuck between 2 semis in the left lane. I personally don't enjoy being tailgated by a huge semi so I checked my passenger mirror and began merging into the right lane. I did signal and glanced ahead as far as I could and then behind to make sure I wasn't coming out in front of anyone speeding up in the right lane. As soon as I got over I see a county sheriff on the shoulder with his lights on. He was maybe 70-80 yards ahead of me. I checked to see if I could get back over and couldn't. So with nothing else that I could do I slowed as much as I could and got as close to the semis as I could and passed by the officer. Then I proceeded to speed up and get over in the left lane. I saw that the officer had nobody pulled over, he was just sitting well off the highway on the shoulder. He proceeded to catch up to me and pull me over and issue me a ticket for disregarding an officer. I told him taht I had nowhere to go and he wasn't getting out of his car as he had nobody pulled over but he told me that it is still the law. I can't find this law anywhere on the internet for Indiana laws. I drive safely and have no speeding tickets. Should I contest this? I know that he said its a law designed to protect officers, but he wasn't getting out of his car!? He had nobody pulled over, and I had nowhere to go... Please let me know what my options are.....

Last edited:
Show up on the court day displayed on the ticket and contest it. If its a traffic violation most of the time the officer never shows, especially if its highway patrol, and the ticket just gets thrown out immediately. If he does show up, you can probably arrange to defer the traffic violation. Trying to fight the ticket beyond that is not really worth it.

I disagree on fighting the ticket. This is a serous violation and you will probably have a huge insurance increase. You have a good defense since you were blocked. Show up on your court date or retain an attorney.

i got a totally bull citation about being disobedient to an officer. basically, the officer was a complete ass and gave me a citation because i said that i did not know what was going on and therefore could not give a proper statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back