Dispatch question - personal info

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassgirl01

I called the local police department to make an inquiry about abandoned property.
I used their local number, not 911, because it was not an emergency. However, about a half hour after I called, a friend showed up to find out what was happening, because he heard my name, location, and full telephone number over the scanner.

I thought they were not supposed to broadcast this information...
For me, this is not the first time they have done this. I had a customer in my workplace on one occassion who was obviously having mental problems and I called in to ask them police to do a welfare check on her. They broadcast all of my information then too, my name, workplace, and phone number.

Old thread - answering for reference purposes.

It is not illegal for the police to broadcast this information over their scanners.

The sale to & use of scanners by the general public to pick up broadcast information is generally legal. Some police depts. have decided to encrypt all of their frequencies to protect individuals' personal information. Also, there may be some areas where the use by the public of scanners is not legal or limited - you need to check your local ordinances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back