Criminal Law Disorderly Conduct and Green Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Hi, NYClex
I am a law abiding person but one day I was not thinking right. I was arrested for "Patronizing a Prostitue". I had no other criminal history. I was represented by public attorney. I took the pleaded guilty and the charges were droped to "Disorderly Conduct". I had to pay a fine but otherwise I went home right away without doing any community serive and time in jail after the trial. The attorney I was provided was very busy( undestandably). He told me that my record will get sealed if I stay "clean" for 6 months. ( this happened about a month ago).
I am a refuge, I applied for green card in 2001 and last summer had fingerprints done. I did some research on this matter. According to this website http://www.nysda.org/NYSDA_Resources/Immigrant_Defense_Project/03_Final3dEditionManualAppendix_A.pdf
A "Disorderly Conduct" is a violation punishable by up to 15 days imprisonment. What I do not understand is what INS is going to review in my case? Do they look at the original charge or ground for an arrest ordo they look at the final disposition? I already applied for green card in 2001, will I just get it in the mail or there is an interview to go through? Is there anything I can do to show that it was a terrible mistake I made but that I am willing to show that this is not what I am about, like joining Armed Forces or volunteering?

The good news is, disorderly conduct usually is not a crime of moral turpitude and therefore should not be a problem for your green card as long as your record is otherwise clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back