Naturalization, Citizenship Disorderly Conduct and Citizenship Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristineDF

Let me start with my husband and I have not legally separated. He has had his GC since Nov. 2000. In Oct. 2007 he was arrested (spent 1 night in jail) and charged with domestic violence against his then girlfriend. In Dec. 2007 the charges were reduced to disorderly conduct. He was ordered to counselling and 1 year probation. He has since completed his probation. Generally speaking, I understand the charge is a catch all misdemeanor which carries a maximum fine of $500 and 90 days in jail in Michigan. Initially we were told by an immigration attorney that if he could get the domestic violence reduced to disorderly that it shouldn't be a problem for his citizenship application.

I guess my questions are:
At the end of the Guide for Naturalization it says that he must submit a certified copy of the arrest report, court dispostion, sentencing and any other relevant documents. How does he obtain a certfied copy of all of these documents? Does he need all of these documents or is just the sentencing fine? Because the original charge was a domestic (which I know is moral turptitude crime) is there any chance he could still be looking at deportation? Will the fact that the original charge was domestic violence automatically deny him citizenship?

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back