Disobedient Neighbors Destroying Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkur

As a home owner that doesn't know anything about Law, can I do anything about this problem? We have neighbors that live on the connecting steps to us with two boys. One is 11 and one is 14. They are constantly playing football on our front lawn. The neighbor that lives on their other side told them to stay off of his lawn and they listen to him and respect him and they never step on his property. Our front lawn has become their football field and has been ruined from them. We have talked to them and to their mother and she has never told them to stay off of our property. When they get mad at us, because of us demading for them to get off of our property, we have found dead animals, garbage, and broken windows on our car. They usually have about 8 other boys with them, so my mom and I are now scared to keep yelling at them. We have had flags on our lawn broken in half from them running and stomping on them and we haven't been able to plant anything on the grass. Our grass is ruined to the point where it is hard to mow. This might sound petty to some people, but when it's really nice out in the summer and they have a game going on with a bunch of kids on our property and the mother just stands there to make sure her boys are not
being yelled at, that is all she cares about. Like I said, we have talked nicely to them and have sometimes been given the finger by their friends and they just laugh at us. Our dog will not go outside if they are out there, so we think that they have done something to her when we were not watching.
Is there anything legally that we can do? I'm sorry if I rambling on here, but I had another encounter tonight and this weekend I saw the one boy put a dead mouse on a pizza box in our side fence. No lie!!
Thanks for any help,
Melissa

My thoughts are that you have a few options although my thought is always to attempt to settle the matter as simple as possible without going to court. I'd start with writing the neighbor a certified letter, return receipt requested, including that you have requested and demanded that her boys cease playing football on your lawn without result. They have ruined the shrubbery and will be responsible for paying for any and all damages that are a result of her sons bringing football games to be played on your lawn. Additionally, you have found dead animals, broken windows, etc. on your car after your prior warnings, have seen the boys do this without their knowledge and you will have no choice but to report their actions to the police should this continue. Then see what happens and if nothing, go to the police, report the trespassing, show them the letter, and go to small claims court to recover the damages to the lawn. I'd take pictures of the lawn, before and after as well as the kids playing football on your lawn. If these actions don't stop then you have to do what you have to do, unfortunately. You may need to start with the police.

Originally posted by melkur
As a home owner that doesn't know anything about Law, can I do anything about this problem? We have neighbors that live on the connecting steps to us with two boys. One is 11 and one is 14. They are constantly playing football on our front lawn. The neighbor that lives on their other side told them to stay off of his lawn and they listen to him and respect him and they never step on his property. Our front lawn has become their football field and has been ruined from them. We have talked to them and to their mother and she has never told them to stay off of our property. When they get mad at us, because of us demading for them to get off of our property, we have found dead animals, garbage, and broken windows on our car. They usually have about 8 other boys with them, so my mom and I are now scared to keep yelling at them. We have had flags on our lawn broken in half from them running and stomping on them and we haven't been able to plant anything on the grass. Our grass is ruined to the point where it is hard to mow. This might sound petty to some people, but when it's really nice out in the summer and they have a game going on with a bunch of kids on our property and the mother just stands there to make sure her boys are not
being yelled at, that is all she cares about. Like I said, we have talked nicely to them and have sometimes been given the finger by their friends and they just laugh at us. Our dog will not go outside if they are out there, so we think that they have done something to her when we were not watching.
Is there anything legally that we can do? I'm sorry if I rambling on here, but I had another encounter tonight and this weekend I saw the one boy put a dead mouse on a pizza box in our side fence. No lie!!
Thanks for any help,
Melissa

I just read your post and am interested in finding out how this problem was resolved if at all. What steps did you have to take to stop this harrassment.

I am going through a similar experience myself and posted on the forum yesterday.

melkur said:
Thanks for any help,
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back