Indiana Disclosing payment information

Thunder911

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I took my daughter for an eye exam. Her eyes changed so I purchased new lens for her current frames. I paid the bill using my credit card.
A week later, my ex husband- my daughters father goes to the eye care place and tells them
He wants to pay his 'share' of the bill I already paid last week.
They told him that I paid by credit card so they could take his payment and apply credit to my credit card.
Are they allowed to do this? Can they disclose to him the method of my payment and allow him to make an adjustment to my transaction from a week prior?

They told him that I paid by credit card so they could take his payment and apply credit to my credit card.
Are they allowed to do this?

Yes.

Can they disclose to him the method of my payment and allow him to make an adjustment to my transaction from a week prior?

Obviously they can because they did.

If you don't want a provider disclosing anything to your ex, put it in writing to the provider. However, if they don't obey, there won't be anything you can do about it short of a court order because he is her father.

Wow, I guess I have no privacy?
you are indicating that my ex has the right to change a financial transaction that I completed without my knowledge.

Wow, I guess I have no privacy?

That's a silly response. You have plenty of privacy. This is just not a privacy issue.

you are indicating that my ex has the right to change a financial transaction that I completed without my knowledge.

In this particular instance, obviously yes.

In any other instance, maybe yes, maybe no, depending on the circumstances and whether you've done anything up front to prevent it.

In general, however, he is her father and has just as many rights about her as you do.

It's safe to assume that most people have credit cards these days, and use them for many different purposes. I don't see how your ex knowing that you used a credit card to pay for your daughter's glasses is any different than someone seeing you take out a credit card in any public place and use it. It's not like they gave him your credit card number or anything. And he didn't "change" your transaction, if they took his money and then used it to credit back to your card a portion of what you'd already paid, that would show as a separate transaction.

Consider yourself lucky that he actually paid a portion of the bill. I know any number of people who have ex-spouses (myself included) who never contributed a dime to any of the bills for their children, even when they had been ordered to as part of a divorce. Most of them would be thrilled to have their ex contribute anything at all.

I agree that you're looking at this all wrong. Be thankful that he paid his 1/2. No harm done to you.

Back