Disclaimers on forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crush

Hello, I'm new here. I have a question about disclaimers/liability statements on forums. Can they really protect the forum owners, Admins and Mods?

The last line of ours reads: By viewing and using this site, you release the owners, administrators and moderators of any and all legal claims.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Q: Can they really protect the forum owners, Admins and Mods?

A: No.

Thank you for your quick response.

If I remove post that someone is claiming is slander/libel (when it is just opinions from members) do they still have any legal grounds for suing?

Thank you for your quick response.

If I remove post that someone is claiming is slander/libel (when it is just opinions from members) do they still have any legal grounds for suing?

Anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time anywhere.

If, in fact, it is defamation, then you have already published it.

Deleting it would help you when the jury is determining damages (maybe).

If, in fact, it is not defamation, then if that person sues you, counterclaim for a whole bunch of money (frivolous lawsuit).

Thank you for your time in helping me.

Is there any sort of Statute of limitations on these types of cases?

1. Disclaimers help depending upon the kind of lawsuit, e.g. claiming that someone negligently gave you medical advice in spite of a clear disclaimer.

2. There are statutes of limitations with regard to the amount of time upon which most cases can be brought and defamation is no exception to the rule. The length varies upon the jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back