Computer Crimes, Hacking Did I commit a cyber crime?

S

Soldier2187

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello,
So let me start off with a story so you will understand my situation. In the summer of 2015, I was looking to start up a Minecraft server with another like minded individual. I found a guy and we decided to start one up. I made an email for the community. The email to sign up for certain things. We also bought a domain name and I was given the information to the domain name. So I owned the account details to the Email, and Domain at the time. Long story short, we ended up not doing the Minecraft server because we both lost interest in Minecraft and the server.

Fast forward to this summer, me and a few friends decided we wanted to start up a Garry's Mod server and I had the great idea of using the community name and all the assets that was being used by the Minecraft server I was going to run. So we did. I shared the Email information with one of my other friends who was going to be named an Owner of the server, but I never gave him access to the domain account. About a month after starting up the Garry's Mod server, I decided to leave the server for personal reasons that are irrelevant to the situation. They still had access to the email which I let them keep, but I still had access to the domain account.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I decided I wanted to check up on the server to see how it was doing. It wasn't doing as well as I expected and I ended up overreacting and went through the recovery process of the email they were using so that I could regain access to it. I ended up getting access back to it because like I said, I originally made it. The process was I told google I lost my password and they asked what password I last remembered that I used on the account. I provided the password and then google asked when the account was created. I remembered I made the account in June 2015 so I inputted that and then bam, google gave me access to the email again that they were using. As soon as I regained access to the email, I changed the password, 2 step verification, and everything so that they wouldn't have access to the email. I then went to their website and changed the password to the admin account on their website because the admin account used the email I just got access to. So they no longer had access to the email and website. I then went and logged into the domain account, which they still had no access to, but I still did, and changed the DNS settings so that their website would go offline. So I didn't hack anything, I merely used the account recovery system on google and revoked their access to the email and revoked their access to the admin account on their website and then messed up the DNS settings within the domain account.

So pretty much they lost all access to their community, which I originally owned, except for their Garry's Mod server. I admit, doing this wasn't the right thing to do, but I did it anyways and I regret it. They ended up sending in a ticket to the FBI saying that they got hacked. Which like I said, I never hacked anything. I just used the recovery options on google because I was the original account maker of the email they were using. I panicked and decided to come forward and tell them that I did this and that I didn't hack them. I came forward because I was scared I was going to get charged with hacking from the FBI. I gave them access to the website and email again because I felt guilty and I hoped they wouldn't continue with the FBI ticket. Fast forward to today and I found out from a friend of mine that they are continuing with the FBI ticket to get me charged for who knows what. So can they successfully charge me with anything? Did I break any actual laws even though all I did was recover the accounts with the email I used to own?

Additional notes: The website was payed by them from donations so I technically didn't own the website, but the website was still using the domain name that I still had access to and the admin account on the website was using the email that I originally made that I said I regained access to.

TL;DR: I made a community for a Minecraft server with a person a long time ago, I made an email account for the community, we decided not to do the Minecraft server, later on I started a new Garry's Mod server with a friend and gave him access to the email because he was going to be an owner of the server as well, I left the community and he changed the password to the email, I later on regained access to the email through Google's account recovery system since I originally made it, took over the email from them, took over their website, messed up the website DNS so the website wasn't online anymore, they filed a FBI ticket claiming they got hacked, I felt guilty and came forward and gave them access to the accounts again, instead of canceling the ticket after I came forward and gave them access to the accounts again, they decided to continue with the ticket, did I break any laws?

Only the Assistant US Attorney's opinion matters, as to whether your actions broke any laws.

The FBI investigates, reports the findings to the AUSA, and a decision to arrest or refer the matter to a Federal Grand Jury in an effort to seek an indictment is made, or the AUSA could decide to leave you be.

You'll have to wait for an official decision. My opinion is as unimportant as yours, right or wrong, it's the AUSA along with some federal agent(s) that matters.

If you are charged, when the US Marshals arrive to arrest you, (or some FBI agents), make sure you say "I INVOKE, I want a lawyer, and I'm going to remain silent."

Then no matter what, make sure you cooperate, but don't comment on the case.
It's OKAY to give your name, date of birth, address, etc... Just be sure to not answer any questions about your actions involving this entire matter.

Only the Assistant US Attorney's opinion matters, as to whether your actions broke any laws.

The FBI investigates, reports the findings to the AUSA, and a decision to arrest or refer the matter to a Federal Grand Jury in an effort to seek an indictment is made, or the AUSA could decide to leave you be.

You'll have to wait for an official decision. My opinion is as unimportant as yours, right or wrong, it's the AUSA along with some federal agent(s) that matters.

If you are charged, when the US Marshals arrive to arrest you, (or some FBI agents), make sure you say "I INVOKE, I want a lawyer, and I'm going to remain silent."

Then no matter what, make sure you cooperate, but don't comment on the case.
It's OKAY to give your name, date of birth, address, etc... Just be sure to not answer any questions about your actions involving this entire matter.
Well I kinda came here for the opinion of others even if it doesn't matter. I don't want to have to worry about nothing if there's nothing to worry about. Hence why I came to ask the internet. I'd rather not take the time to go ask a lawyer right now either.

Well I kinda came here for the opinion of others even if it doesn't matter. I don't want to have to worry about nothing if there's nothing to worry about. Hence why I came to ask the internet. I'd rather not take the time to go ask a lawyer right now either.
But a lawyer is the only place you're going to get legal advice.

Did you read the disclaimer: "Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising."

Most lawyers offer free consultations. I've gotten a couple before.

But he's right - it doesn't matter what others opinions are in the grand scheme of things.

Well thanks for not helping guys. I came here KNOWING that I most likely wasn't going to get a reply from a lawyer. I came here to SEEK HELP FROM OTHER INDIVIDUALS before going to a lawyer! God you guys are useless. Just delete this post please. I wish to no longer get replies from this useless site.

Well thanks for not helping guys. I came here KNOWING that I most likely wasn't going to get a reply from a lawyer. I came here to SEEK HELP FROM OTHER INDIVIDUALS before going to a lawyer! God you guys are useless. Just delete this post please. I wish to no longer get replies from this useless site.
You got advice you just don't like it.

Hey there, mate!
Good morning.
I gave you some very useful information, all for FREE!
Others gave you great suggestions, and wise information, too.
We try to help everyone, equally.
We sometimes disappoint people, as in your case.
We hate to disappoint others.
When we learn you hate or dislike our great suggestions, we cry.
Right now, in our lovely, well appointed, plush, upper Westside Manhattan offices; provided to us by our benefactor, Michael, AKA, law professor; we're sobbing uncontrollably.

A few of us have vomited, projectile vomiting actually, and a couple of us have soiled ourselves (FRONT & BACK).

We've made quite a mess of the beautiful offices provided to us by our wonderful, benevolent employer, Michael.

Michael, sorry we've let you down again, and we've hurt one of our wonderful questioners.

There goes our Thanksgiving Party on Wednesday.
We'll all probably not get Thanksgiving off, either, maybe Christmas and New Years are lost.

We deserve it, and whatever the professor decides to do to punish us.

Meanwhile, sorry we failed you, soldier, we're so unworthy of a man like the professor and great questioners like you, soldier.

So sorry, so unworthy.
Now I must clean myself.

There's a famous statement that typically applies to computing of which you're probably familiar: GIGO.

I give you credit for providing a good amount of information but it's difficult to say whether what you did was a crime or a civil wrong or any wrong at all. It's entirely unclear as to who owns what. If you own the domain name then that may change things, whether or not others were using it and were deemed "part owners" or whatever was agreed between yourselves, all which may be a matter up for debate. I'm not quite sure who "owned" the site itself either. The only way to know what the ultimate result is would be to take a considerable amount of time to sort through the tangled mess of facts. Frequently you'll hear words like "the community" thrown around with online sites and usually the words are meaningless with regard to the law. The "community" often believes they have more rights than they have, etc.

The bottom line is nobody can say for sure what the outcome will be. I doubt the FBI will care too much about some relatively minor issue like this one, or what it seems to be in the grand scale of computer crimes. So if you're looking for a law school answer, the legal answer is "it's complicated." If you're looking for a real world answer, unless there is a great deal of money or importance (or a matter easily adjudicated), chances are little will actually happen legally. Although you could find companies reacting to your conduct in response to complaints.

There's a famous statement that typically applies to computing of which you're probably familiar: GIGO.

I give you credit for providing a good amount of information but it's difficult to say whether what you did was a crime or a civil wrong or any wrong at all. It's entirely unclear as to who owns what. If you own the domain name then that may change things, whether or not others were using it and were deemed "part owners" or whatever was agreed between yourselves, all which may be a matter up for debate. I'm not quite sure who "owned" the site itself either. The only way to know what the ultimate result is would be to take a considerable amount of time to sort through the tangled mess of facts. Frequently you'll hear words like "the community" thrown around with online sites and usually the words are meaningless with regard to the law. The "community" often believes they have more rights than they have, etc.

The bottom line is nobody can say for sure what the outcome will be. I doubt the FBI will care too much about some relatively minor issue like this one, or what it seems to be in the grand scale of computer crimes. So if you're looking for a law school answer, the legal answer is "it's complicated." If you're looking for a real world answer, unless there is a great deal of money or importance (or a matter easily adjudicated), chances are little will actually happen legally. Although you could find companies reacting to your conduct in response to complaints.
This is a response I was looking for. Thank you so much.

I understand and that's OK. Unfortunately no one can give you any guarantees. Lesser cases are pursued by prosecutors at times and sometimes to make a point that people should expect lesser crimes to slide. There is also the chance that there are facts we haven't been given that may have been deemed unimportant but actually were important. You'll just have to wait and see how this plays out. A criminal lawyer may tell you the same thing. The best answer you can receive is from a proper legal consultation with a criminal lawyer who can ask questions, etc. and be more specific. Good luck.

Back