Diamond Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiem0323

Just recently me and the father of my two children reconnected and got married. Our problem is about a year ago he was engaged to his ex. She talked him into an $11,000 diamond ring. They broke up about 4 months after and she refused to give the ring back. Finally he was able to grab it from her when she stopped by to visit and set it down. She started coming around frequently and ended up stealing the ring back. He was constantly contacting her to set up arrangements for her to take over the payments on the ring. Soon after her mother went on vacation in Florida and reported the ring stolen. We have no idea why her mom would have the ring at all much less in Florida. So we are stuck with a ring payment for a ring that we don't have. She was the one who broke of the engagment and just up and moved out. She would always tell him that he owed her the ring. We are wondering what we can do. We would like for her to take over payments. She also has a 5,000 water softner system in her house that she has agreed to keep but refuses to make payments. We'd like for her to take over that debt also. She has been a pain for the past few months. She has done this to men in the past and we feel its time for her to pay. How do we go about sueing her for over $10,000??

The ring was a gift from your husband to her.

So, he has to pay for the ring.

But if he thinks otherwise, then he can sue her in the county where she lives.

If it was an engagement ring, she may have the duty to give it back. Accepting it is a promise of marriage and if the marriage does not happen, she may be obligated to give the ring back. I guess it depends on what state this happened in and you'll need to google the law for that state on engagement rings.

Also did neither party not have insurance on the ring? Even homeowners or renters insurance may cover it.

He will probably have to sue her for the cost of the ring, if she had the duty to give it back.

He should talk to an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back