Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Detective asked me to turn myself in but wont tell me my charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifkdup

Quick run down...

I am a contractor in california, my license expired last year. I did a job in march where i accepted a 1500$ check, 900$ to pay for materials, and $600 as the remainder to a previous job i completed for the same customer.

Do to a fallout I walked away from job. The customer still owes me money on another job refused to pay so I walked out. Nothing was written on contract other than the first job I did which was completed and accepted.

A month later I two detectives show up and say that stuff was reported missing. I have been in this trade for 15 years, 20,000 houses I have entered and never been accused of theft. I let them in to search my house and car. They asked me to "come down to the station to take a lie detector test". I said no.

A week later a detective from another department calls meand leaves a message asking me to come in and talk to him. I told him I was advised by an attorney to not answer any questions. He then called me a week later and said I needed to turn myself in. I think he can arrest me for contracting with an expired license and excessive deposit.

When I asked what I was being charged with he said they didn't know yet until I came in and "clarified" some things.....I told him I would be in the next day at 10am. He then said it would give him something to think about if I just answered 1 question...."what did you do with the 1500 check....use it for bills? use it to fix your car? cmon just tell me? I said I used for material and payment on a previous job (again no contract written). That was the end of the conversation, he would see me tomorrow.

My question to anyone who will help is do I go in tomorrow and let them ask me questions or do I just go in and ask to be arrested....? My assumption is they are bringing me in because they need something from me, otherwise I would have been arrested already, in which case i'm sure they can charge me for working without a license and possible excessive deposit??? can anyone help

From my experience, police may pretend that you're going to be arrested since they have information that will convict you to scare you into "doing the right thing anyways because when we nail you it is going to be worse." A cop tried that tactic on me when I came into a precinct to report a crime and he suspected something was up because some of the facts were unusual. It annoyed me and the officer had no clue I was onto him within 5 seconds of trying to back me into a corner as if I did something wrong.

If you didn't do anything wrong, don't worry. Going in to speak with them might not be a great idea without an attorney. If you do decide to do so, be very careful not to say anything without thinking first. At the very worst, all you do is deny and not comment on anything else. Do NOT feel as if you need to defend yourself. If they had enough to arrest you, they probably would have done so. If they want more they can always speak to your lawyer. All you have to say is you did nothing wrong and the fact that this fraudulent claim has gone this far worries you.

Again, my feeling is that this does not feel like a good situation to go into without having an attorney. I'm not sure if you went or are going into the police station today. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Hopefully you didnt say anything without your attorney present. Good luck.

He then called me a week later and said I needed to turn myself in. I think he can arrest me for contracting with an expired license and excessive deposit.

When I asked what I was being charged with he said they didn't know yet until I came in and "clarified" some things.

That is hilarious....

He pretty much told you he didn't have anything on you. The only purpose of the interview was to get yuo to make incriminating statements. If they were going to arrest you they would have, and there would be no option to come down to the station for a chat.

Hopefully you followed your attorney's advice and did not go to answer questions. There is no way whatsoever that talking to the detective can help you. It can only make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back