Desperately need help...neighbor is a packrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxOTD

My jurisdiction is: NY, USA

My husband and I desperately need some direction and hope one of y'all can help us.

A couple years ago, the house next to us was sold to an older woman. (Please note that there is about 6–8 feet between her house and our garage, so when I say "next door," I mean RIGHT next door.) We were warned by those "in the know" that she is a hoarder. We don't take heed of gossip, so we just took what we heard with a grain of salt. However, we have since come to learn that what we heard is indeed true. And we've also come to learn that the last home she lived in was condemned.

The first year after she moved in was fine. We noticed that she'd bring her little tow-behind trailer home with stuff on it. It would sit in the driveway for days (or weeks), through all kinds of weather, then the stuff would be gone. We figured she was just moving her stuff in (and taking her time about it). Then we started to notice that stuff started getting piled in the front porch-like entryway and in front of the garage. Well, I'm sad to say that after 2.5 years, she is still carting stuff home and piling it front of her house. And it doesn't disappear anymore. In fact, when a wind comes up, we usually have some sort of garbage to clean out of our yard from her piles.

Recently the gas company had to make a repair to one of their lines and, hence, turn off the gas (heat) to everyone on our street. When I came home from work, one of the ladies from the gas company came up and said she needed to turn our heat back on for us. So, while she was doing that she asked us if we knew anything about the woman next door to us. She then shared with us that, as soon as she walked into our neighbor's house to turn her heat back on, she had to run outside and throw up. She could not return to the house and complete the job because "the house was unsanitary and a health hazard." Apparently our neighbor didn't understand the problem and accused the poor woman of having a weak stomach.

So, all that being said, and the fact that all the crap she brings home is just piling up in front of her house creating quite an eyesore (not to mention the health hazard that her house apparently has become), as well as negatively affecting our property value, my husband and I are wondering if there is anyone we can contact about this problem or anything that anyone can do about it? Is there any course of action we can take?

Thanks for your help!

Identify some specific code violations such as fire safety, garbage, vermin infestation, etc.. Report this potential violation(s) to the code enfocement entity in your community. http://www.cortland.org/CITY/fire/codeviolation.htm This takes you to the online complaint form in Cortland, NY. Your town may have a similar website.

I am so sorry you have a pack rat neighbor. My father is also a pack rat and his neighbors have the same problem you have. He is in Queens, NY so I know what you mean about RIGHT next door. His neighbors have also called the health department and reported code violations. He was forced to clean up some of the garbage, the stuff that was identified as attracting mice and other vermin but he was allowed to keep alot of stuff anyway. Maybe his neighbors should continue to call and complain. As far as I know there's not much you can do because it's her property. I am truly sorry for you. I know how disgusting these people are.

Thank you for the responses. I live in a pretty small town and couldn't find a website like the one you provided from Cortland (which was a wonderful site, by the way). I don't think our town even has a generic website. I was hoping that maybe the gas company would report the conditions they encountered to the proper people...but didn't want to rely on that (as I'm sure it will likely not happen...but I'm hoping).

I'm just going to keep looking for the right people to report this to...because this woman obviously has a problem, and it certainly affects the people around her. (As if the housing market wasn't bad enough on its own, now we have this woman decreasing the value of our property too.) :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back