derivative work from a dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyM

Hi there folks. I'm working on a website that will essentially be an online dictionary. What I want to know is whether or not I can use any of the text from an existing published dictionary? I already got some advice on this topic from several other sources, and what I have learned so far is that I cannot copy the actual text of each definition. However, because the definition of a word is a fact, and facts cannot be copyrighted, does this mean that I can simply paraphrase the text of each definition for use in my own definition? Or maybe not just paraphrase, but actually expound on said definitions, to make them more unique? Also, I was told that dictionary publishers sometimes include dupe words in their dictionary so that they can figure out when someone has used their dictionary without permission. To solve this, could I just use an existing dictionary's word list and run each one through a spell checker (such as one one included in Microsoft Word) to filter out the "dupe" words? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Well, I don't think the definition of a word is a fact. The meaning of a word may be a fact, but the definition is the expression of that meaning, and there is more than one way to express the meaning. You are probably okay if you paraphrase, but that means that you restate the text in another way. It does not mean that you copy the text, then add to it.

Also, I think it would take just as long to run a dictionary through spell check as it would to paraphrase the definitions! Spell checkers pick up every abbreviation, and most definitions include one or more abbreviations (pronunciation, part of speech, word roots).

I suspect you're better off doing the work yourself, rather than risking an accusation of plagiarism.

I wouldn't copy the text and then add to it. I might paraphrase the text and then add to it, but I certainly wouldn't copy it. What I've learned from another source is that I could get away with using the existing word-lists from published dictionaries, so long as I check every word to ensure it is not one of those intentionally-inserted nonsense words that publishers use to catch pirates. The idea is to use several published dictionaries as my sources, so that my work will not be derived solely from one copyrighted work, and also check the dictionaries against each other. Also, I would not be copying any of their copyright-able material (such as usage notes, examples of use, etymologies, etc.) nor the style (fonts, sizes, colors, etc.) or even the layout (most dictionaries will have two columns per page of definitions, while mine will be on a website, using a totally different layout). Think I'll be all right if I take this direction? Again, thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't guarantee that my information is legally accurate; however, I don't see how you can get in trouble for using a word list as a basis for your dictionary. I think you can get into trouble if your paraphrased definitions sound too much like any one of your sources. Also, when writing a research or review paper, my experience is that it is required that all sources are cited, even when paraphrasing. So, my guess is that you could face charges of plagiarism, but the likelihood (if you're careful) is pretty small.

Hopefully, one of the lawyers on this site will reply with a more informed answer for you. It's an interesting question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back