Criminal Law Deportation and Felonies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mateusz

I am going to be convicted of felony uttering (for a 500 dollar counterfeit travelers check, that I didn't sign, maximum sentence is 6 years :( ). I am a green card holder. I have lived in this country for twenty seven years. I want to know if I can be deported or if I should get an immigration lawyer. I am going to be put on three years probation for this crime once sentenced.

Thank you,
Mateusz

since the maximum sentence is more than 6 years... it is possible to be deported
you really need to talk to a immigration lawyer as soon as possible. i dont think taking the probation is a good idea... since the max sentence is still 6 years. go talk to a lawyer. You probably need to spend more money if you want to stay. good luck.

You need a criminal lawyer who also practices immigration law. Taking a deal would trigger deportation and inadmissibility. Your best bet in such a situation is for your lawyer to see your chances of beating the charges. A deal is not an option since it would lead to deportation. Anything short of a finding of not guilty or dismissal of charge with no prejudice could trigger deportation. You offense does not meet crime exceptions under US immigration law. More so, your immigration lawyer would examine your chances of a waiver and current case to make the best decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back