Medical Malpractice Dental fees not agreed to before treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenderdeb

I had 2 root canals performed at the same time by an Endodontist back in 2006.
My cost for both was $528.80 of which I paid $150.00 at the appointment time and the other $378.80 at after the Insurance was billed. I was a bit miffed that they didn't tell me how much it would cost up front, but paid the amount anyway.

I recently went in for a 3rd root canal, but this time I asked upfront how much it would cost. At this time I knew the cost of my last time was around $500.00, but wasn't sure the exact amount. They said $250.00 - I explained that I was not happy with the last time and that the billing was more then expected. They assured me that it would be $250.00 and since it was around half the cost of the first time I went (when they did two teeth) I figured they were right. I paid the $250.00 before I received treatment. About 3-4 weeks later I received a bill for an additional $195.50. I called and talked to some one in the office and she indicated that I had to pay the fee. I told her what had happened when I went for my appointment and she basically said that the fee needs to be paid. I asked her to send me a copy of where I signed anything indicating I agreed to pay anything (I was miffed that they again were charging me more then originally stated). What she sent me was my medical history that I signed. Nothing showing a breakdown of the cost of treatment or amount paid or ay contract of fees between their company and me. I called again and explained that is not what I asked for and they indicated that that is all that they had. I explained that I was not going to pay. I continued to receive invoices, they sent me to collections and I received a bill from collections. I called collections and explained what happened. They in turn said they would get me the information that I was asking for regarding my agreement to pay; I knew one didn't exist so I figured they wouldn't pursue without this document. What they sent me was the breakdown of my charges - this is the first time I have seen anything relating to the cost or payments, and of course it doesn't have my signature or anything indicating I agreed to these charges. I don't know what I can do, I don't want to pay it - I feel that they should have been up front with the charges - they should have gotten my ok to the charges and my acknowledgement that I would be responsible for anything the INsurance company didn't pay - but they didn't do that. I haven't contacted the collections agency back and am hoping for some advice on what I can do. I don't want this on my record (I have a great credit score and am very good about paying what I owe but this time is ridiculous and I don't know what rights or recourse I have).

Please advise
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back