Dental bill that's more than 15 years old

Bill Mee

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I got a message in my voicemail today, left by a dental clinic in MA that I went to more than 15 years ago. It stated I had a balance with them and would like me to call them back.

I joggled my memory and vaguely recalled that I had disputed the amount when I first got the bill (likely having something to do with the insurance payment, but the details have escaped this old brain). I hadn't heard from the practice, nor any collection agency, after the dispute, until today. My phone number has stayed the same over the past 20 years. I did move once, but that happened at least 7 years after my last communication with the practice.

My questions:
1. I read that a medical/dental bill is "time-barred" after six years in MA, which means the debtor can't be sued by the creditor. Is my understanding correct?
2. I also read that the debtor of a time-barred debt may "revive" the debt if they make any partial payment. Is that true?
3. Will the clinic be able to get this 15-year-old debt to show up on my credit report?
4 I think I will call the clinic to gather more info on the bill. I will not make any payment when I call. I will then contact my insurance company to verify the dates and amounts. Does this sound like a plan? Is there anything else I should or should not do during the call?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

1. I read that a medical/dental bill is "time-barred" after six years in MA, which means the debtor can't be sued by the creditor. Is my understanding correct?

Sorta. But to be more technically accurate, a Statute of Limitations is a deadline for filing a lawsuit. You can still be sued and you'd have to raise the SOL as an affirmative defense to get the lawsuit dismissed.

And it's not not just medical/dental bills, it's any contractual matter. You had a contract with the dentist to pay for the services. In MA the deadline for a lawsuit for a breach of a written or oral contract is 6 years.

2. I also read that the debtor of a time-barred debt may "revive" the debt if they make any partial payment. Is that true?

It differes from state to state but in MA I don't think so. See 260 Limitations of Actions Section 14

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 260 (2017) - LIMITATION OF ACTIONS :: 2017 Massachusetts General Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

3. Will the clinic be able to get this 15-year-old debt to show up on my credit report?

An item can only be on your credit report for 7 years (+ 6 months in some cases) from the date of delinquency.

4 I think I will call the clinic to gather more info on the bill. I will not make any payment when I call. I will then contact my insurance company to verify the dates and amounts. Does this sound like a plan?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Back