Denied right to breastfeed while volunteering at school

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneM

My third grade daughter's principal asked that I leave the classroom if I need to breastfeed my 17-month old while volunteering. I've repeatedly pointed out that I have a legal right to nurse there as covered by Vt. Stat. Ann. tit. 9 § 4502 (2002) and Vt. Acts, Act 117 (2002). Her argument is that parents have a right to decide if their children view this. She also maintains that as a volunteer I come under the code for employees and as such she is required to provide a private place for me to nurse. I contend that she can provide the room, but I am not compelled by law to use it. I've repeatedly tried to resolve this, however, the principal, superintendent and school board refuse to apologize for requesting this and maintain that they have a legal right to ask me to remove myself from the classroom. Any advice you're able to provide would be enormously appreciated.

Anne

I think you're confusing a school with a place of public accommodation. The statute refers to places of public accommodation. Schools have a specific intent and purpose, and are not open to the public in general. Otherwise, any person for any reason could be in your child's classroom.

As a parent, you probably have the right to observe the classroom. You do not have a right to volunteer, and the school has the right to refuse your offer of help. If you insist on breastfeeding in the classroom, the school may refuse to allow you to volunteer.

Just why is it so important that you breastfeed in the classroom? Other parents may have complained. In a mall, the parents can direct their children elsewhere if the sight of breastfeeding makes them uncomfortable. In the classroom, their children are held hostage to witness something they may not want them to see.

So, no, you do not have the legal right to breastfeed in a school classroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back