Denied Over Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

property_guy

I have over 19 years of service with the NYPD, and I am being denied over time by one supervisor because I adjusted my tour of duty for one day with permission from another supervisor. Is this legal?

When you say you are being denied overtime, do you mean that they are not allowing you to work overtime, or that you are working overtime but they are not paying you appropriately for it?

The opportunity to work overtime is being denied by the supervisor. However, other members of the service are getting overtime, even though they did an exact change of tour of duty as mine.

Working overtime is not a guaranteed right under the law. The employer has no legal obligation to schedule you for overtime.

To prevail in a legal action, you would need valid and supportable evidence that the sole reason you were not scheduled for overtime was your race, religion, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law.

This is what the law says. If you have a contract or CBA that provides that you must be given overtime, that is a separate issue.

Could You Please Clarifiy? I Did The Same Overtime As Another Officer At The Same Time And We Changed The Tour To The Exact Same Time And He Is Allowed To Work Overtime, But I Am Denied. In Addition, I Was Removed From A Position That I Held For Years, In Connection With The Election. The Other Officer That I Did The Overtime With Was Offered My Usual Overtime Instead Of Me. Do I Have Any Recourse By Being Treated Unfairly?

The law does not say that you have to be allowed to work overtime.

The law does not say that you have to be treated fairly. The law only says that you have to be treated legally.

It is legal to allow one employee to work overtime and not you.

Unless you have a contract or CBA that says you MUST be allowed to work overtime, it is up to the employer who works overtime and who doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back