Naturalization, Citizenship Denied Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

aporra

Hello.
I have been married with an american citizen since May 2000; I received my green card in February 2002, so in 2005 I was elegible for citizenship. On February 22 2006 I had my interview for citizenship.
The interview went well, and at the end of the interview the official told me to expect to receive, in two or three weeks, the communication for my Oath Cerimony.
Some point during the interview, while examinating my taxes, the official asked me if there was any specific raeason why I filed my 2003 Tax Return as single. I answered I did it because my accountant adviced me to do so since that year I would have done better if I had filed as single instead that with my wife. I asked the official if this episode could have effected the process negativily, but he said it would haven't since my wife and I had been married for 6 years and we had filed joinlty in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. Besides he thought it was a good reason to file as single.
Three days ago I received the letter, but with my surprise instead of communicating me the date of the Oath, it read I was being denied , without prejudice, citizenship. The reason was because I hadn't filed the 2003 Tax Return jointly with my wife.
It's been very difficult to accept without disappointment, frustration and anger this decision, since I was told during the interview, this would have never been a factor that could have effected my citizenship process. And this, and ply this, has been the reason why they denied me citizenship!
A friend suggested me to post a note on this board hoping I could get a good advice.
I also know I can request an hearing.
What should I do?
Thanks so much.
Alex

It sounds awful strange that you were denied citizenship because of a tax return. You may want to seek legal representation on this area.
Probably the officials are mistaking your situation with tax fraud. For fraud to exist, your misrepresentation has to be harmful to the government, meaning you paid less taxes as a direct result of the lie. Most people benefit from filing together when married, filing as single usually results in higher taxes, with some exceptions.
However, if you paid more taxes as a direct result of your lie, there's no damage and no fraud.
There could be other factors related to the lie, maybe the lie itself (all fraud aside) prevented you from showing good moral character.
You need to find out exactly why you were denied citizenship.
This is NOT legal advice, for legal advice contact an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back