Defamation of character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankie

I'll give quick background. About three years ago I started working at a small retail store. Durring that time I became I became really good friends with the owners. When business got really slow I was layed off for 6 months. Because they were my friends, I continued to help them out in the store when I had the opportunity, with NO pay. When business picked back up, they rehired me. Almost a year later, one of the vendors sent me a gift, I took it home and a week later I was fired for stealing. I explained the situation to the owners. (which didn't make any diffence at this point) THEN A couple of weeks later, I found out that an invoice for the "gift" was recieved. I then went to the store, attempted to clear the confusion, explain that it was a misunderstanding, and GAVE them the money for the item. Since then I have been denied unemployment ins., been told by perspective employers that I "admitted to stealing" People have told me that they are saying awful things about me but don't want to get involved. I did NOT steal the item and I did NOT admit to doing so!

My question is What can I do in this situation? HELP

Originally posted by frankie
I'll give quick background. About three years ago I started working at a small retail store. Durring that time I became I became really good friends with the owners. When business got really slow I was layed off for 6 months. Because they were my friends, I continued to help them out in the store when I had the opportunity, with NO pay. When business picked back up, they rehired me. Almost a year later, one of the vendors sent me a gift, I took it home and a week later I was fired for stealing. I explained the situation to the owners. (which didn't make any diffence at this point) THEN A couple of weeks later, I found out that an invoice for the "gift" was recieved. I then went to the store, attempted to clear the confusion, explain that it was a misunderstanding, and GAVE them the money for the item. Since then I have been denied unemployment ins., been told by perspective employers that I "admitted to stealing" People have told me that they are saying awful things about me but don't want to get involved. I did NOT steal the item and I did NOT admit to doing so!

My question is What can I do in this situation? HELP
You are in a tough situation. First, why don't you get a letter from the vendor that what was sent to you was a gift? That would clear up everything, not only with your employer but also with the unemployment insurance agency if need be. We need more details and this is a step you should take or should have already taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back