Defamation of Character Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeauregardEMS

I am a bouncer at a bar where I live and to my understanding I don't need a reason or incident to ban or make someone leave the establishment. I have had a recent run in with a person who has not caused any problems in the bar but I have a distinct feeling he could be a severe problem to my job and the security of the bar. I recently told this individual that he was banned from the bar. His response was that it was defamation of character and he will sue the bar if the ban is enforced. I don't believe he has any legal basis to sue the bar for any reason but I would like th opinion of some of you that have more expereince in this field. Please give me your insight. Thank you

Greg "Beauregard"

This person seems to have no basis to sue you for defamation from what you write. You did not allow this person entry and there was no words, spoken or in print, which were untrue and damaging to that person. As per other threads here, you can do a search to find the factors needed to bring a case for libel or slander, the written and spoken causes of action for defamation, respectively.

Get a sign that states your ROAR policy openly. Place it on the door. It wil save you any further worries. Even though no threat actually exsists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back