defamation of character - do I go to the school principal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones

I would like to take this to my sons' school principal... is this the right step?

A few months back this lady was baby sitting our 5 year old son. He goes to school with this lady's son as well. My ex-wife is not a very timely person and was apparrently late in picking him up. I can understand her being upset but the actions she took were strange and unfounded. The X was 45 minutes late and did not call the lady to inform her she was going to be late. (This is one of the reasons were divorced but she is a caring, loving mother who loves her children.) This lady, instead of calling my X called my X's sister raging about how she has abondoned her child, is a drug user, and basically unfit to be a mother. (Everybody knows my X is not a drug user or a bad mother, it's just rediculous accusations.) The X's sister immediately called the X and the X immediately went over to pick up our son. When the X got there nobody would answer the door yet she could she the children through the window. The children were apparently instructed not to open the door for anyone. This is when I was called and I instructed my X to immediately call the police. Apparrently this lady had left the kids unsupervised in the house while she went down to the police station to report an abondoned child and unfit mother accusations. Me, not knowing exactly where my son was at the time rushed down to the police station. They told me my son was in a squad car and on his way home. I rush to my X's house and waited for the police to arrive with my son. When they arrived I demanded to know on what basis did this lady determine that my son was abandoned and informed them that my entire extended family was looking for this lady and my son as soon as we found out what was going on. This lady would not answer her cell phone! I demanded they arrest this lady for kidnapping and they wouldn't. There were no charges levied or implied by the police on either party. I was contemplating legal action against this lady but decided I would let it go and let things settle down. I had hoped this lady would realize what she did was wrong and how close she was of some kind of child abduction charge and would in her best interest let it go. I was wrong.

This lady volunteers at my sons school and we are now, 6 months later, getting information from other students parents that she has been making these unfounded, rediculous, accusations about my X. She has told numerous parents that my X is a drug user, a bad parent, and has a police record of drug use among other things and that they shouldn't associate with her. In fact, my X has no police record what so ever and even the thought is laughable if you knew her. I also have no record and I have never even met this lady. Everything this lady is saying is baseless and obviously intended to harm my X's reputation.

Anyway, the X and I remain good friends and I told her I would check into her options. Would really like to take the high road and stay away from legal action but want this slander to cease immediately because it is effecting my sons. Since this lady volunteers at my son's school and this is where all the defamation is seeming to take place, I want to approach the principal and request that this lady not be allowed to volunteer at the school any longer. Is this the right step? Should I do it in writing or just make a visit to the Principal? What actions should the principal be expected to take in this matter?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back