Declaration of Independence - How Is It Not Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have often been told by people that the Declaration of Independence is not law, except for use as a point to determine when we legally separated from England, but i've never received a satisfactory explanation as to how it is not, and was hoping someone here could explain why.

My belief that the DoI may be law rests in the fact in its inclusion in the US Code (http://uscode.house.gov/browse/front...edition=prelim) under Organic Law. This belief is furthered by 1 USC 204(a) states

The matter set forth in the edition of the Code of Laws of the United States current at any time shall, together with the then current supplement, if any, establish prima facie the laws of the United States...

My reading of that gives the impression that any text included in the USC is prima facie law.

The only explanation i've received stating that the DoI is not law would be Cotting v. Godard from 1901. But because the USC wasn't completed until 1926, Cotting v. Godard isnt necessarily applicable anymore if 1 USC 204(a) did make the DoI law simply by inclusion in the USC.

The old DoI question, huh?
Good question.
Okay, what in the DoI makes you believe the DoI could be law?
Remember the definition of a law?
Yes, I'm enjoying this question.
You're thinking, pondering, wondering; good for you.
You've even done research, outstanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back