debt recovery when i have already been previously convicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpwlit

i was tried by a magistrates court for theft from employer 4 years ago. i was sentenced to court fees and also to 300 hours community payback which i completed about 3 years ago. there was also talk at the time of the trial of me having to pay back an amount of £2,500. which the judge did not make me pay as i was then unemployed, instead he gave me the community payback.
since then my previous employer sold this £2,500 debt on to a company called sinclair goldberg price who have given me numerous phonecalls asking me to pay back this money. i was under the impression that because i had already gone to court over this and been sentenced and completed my payback that the issue was over.
however today i receieved a letter from sinclair goldberg price stating that if i did not contact them within seven days they would be taking me to court for £2,500. do i have to pay them? or is this considered double jepordey?

thank you

The UK is not a US state. US law and UK law is not the same. We have no experts in UK law here.

OFF TOPIC COMMENT

I did enjoy reading, watching, and learning about your recent, epic, historic national election.

You'll need to find a UK forum or ask a "lawyer" in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back