riffwraith
Member
- Jurisdiction
- Connecticut
Long story, but a debt collector flagged my Experian credit report as in collections a few months ago.
Feeling this was in error, as my old utility company never contacted me, I filed a complaint with the state. The collection agency sent a letter to the state, stating that the utility company has recalled the debt. I am going to call the utility company to see if this is a valid debt, and if so, I will pay it. If not, I will not pay it. In the meantime -
Should the negative item come off of my credit report? Do I need to do anything, such as file a dispute?
And a side Q: if one requests verification of debt from a collection agency, is that considered a dispute?
Thanks in advance.
Feeling this was in error, as my old utility company never contacted me, I filed a complaint with the state. The collection agency sent a letter to the state, stating that the utility company has recalled the debt. I am going to call the utility company to see if this is a valid debt, and if so, I will pay it. If not, I will not pay it. In the meantime -
Should the negative item come off of my credit report? Do I need to do anything, such as file a dispute?
And a side Q: if one requests verification of debt from a collection agency, is that considered a dispute?
Thanks in advance.