Death Of Both Spouses

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGDOG

My Father Died And Five Days Later My Step-mother Died. My Sister And Me Are From My Fathers Marriage To Our Mother And My Step-mother Has Three Children From Her Previous Marriage. They Have No Children Together. Neither One Has A Will Either. They Were Married For 15 Years. They Have Joint Bank Accounts And They Have Joint Ownership Of Property And A Home. We Have Been Able To Retrieve Most Of Our Fathers Personal Things. Her Daughters Have Talked To A Lawyer And We Were Told That We Would Not Be Getting Any Of The Esate. Each Had Vehicles In Each Of Their Names Also. My Father Bought The Land Before He Ever Met My Spep-mother But He Did Have A Warranty Deed Transfered In Both Their Names. I Would Like To Know What Rights We Have In This Situation, If Any. Thanks, Charlie Anderson

If they did not have a will then the assets will be distributed in accordance with state law. You need to go down immediately to the probate court and you and your sister file to be the executors of your father's estate. The other relatives can protest but you are in line and the court will likely appoint you.

If they had joint bank accounts and property then all of that went to your stepmother outside of your father's estate. It depends on the exact wording so obtain a copy of the deed from the courthouse. You need to visit the probate court and get a copy of the law in your state and see if there has been a file started. Take a certified copy of his death certificate and your birth certificates. Then you may need to pay an attorney for a consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back