Dealer Scam on "free" Add-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealerscam

Bought a new car recently (last week) and dealer (financial manager) offered for "free" extended warranty roadside assistance for 2 years ($259), but after analyzing loan and invoice discovered that it was fully billed to me. Also during negotiation they offered to pay mostly of Remote Starter, but also ended up charging me full price (actually overpriced of approx. $150 more than regular price). Unfortunately, I was already too tired to verify all numbers.

Do I have the right to cancel both add-ons: extended warranty (with road service for 2 years for $259) and Remote Starter (as I have not yet had it installed)? Feeling they will give me the "run-around"...

Also noticed that the loan agreement they gave me a copy has a different signature than mine although terms were as agreed... can I do something?

They have also cheated me saying they were discounting $1500 of MSRP when they actually had a rebate of $2000, which I ended up paying more than MSRP ... is it legal in NY?

Please advise ASAP and thank you so much for your time.

If YOU signed the deal then the deal is done. You say the loan papers were not in your signature? You can try and get them to take off the remote starter fee but if you signed the deal then they do not have to and would probably make you pay for it even if it never gets installed.

Mist people don't know this, but in most state's the dealer owns the note, UNTIL you make the first payment. That happens within 30-45 days after you sign the note.

Dealers don't think many people know this. When you tell them this, they are more amenable to satisfying and resolving your complaints. Try that tactic. It might be of some use in your situation.

If it fails, contact the NY State Attorney General. They can often assist in resolving automobile purchase complaints.

Thank you, army judge and blueman33:

Not familiar, but why the fact that dealer might own the note make it easier to resolve disputes? Does this apply to NYS too?
I called Chase and they already have my loan set-up...

Also, as mentioned by blueman33, can I use the fact that the signature in loan contract does not match mine to remove the remote starter? Not sure why they switched forms as terms seems same as contract I originally signed.

As to the extended warranty ($259), I believe the law allows me to cancel it for a full refund within 30 days, right? Is this correct?

I cannot understand how the law allows dealers to play so many unfair tatics on customers. Learned my lesson with a high price.

Last edited:
Thank you, blueman33. In case they agree to refund the remote starter, can they do (return) on my credit card which was used to place a deposit of $500?

I believe the warranty can be canceled by law and goes towards the principal owed. Is that right?

Thank you, blueman33. In case they agree to refund the remote starter, can they do (return) on my credit card which was used to place a deposit of $500?

I believe the warranty can be canceled by law and goes towards the principal owed. Is that right?

If you cancel the warranty, the underwriting company/insurer is required to return the payment directly to you, the debtor.

You are free to do what you wish with the funds.

The cancellation is normally required to be initiated within 30 days (or as specified in the contract) for a full refund. If it is done later, the funds returned are calculated pro rata.

Hi Army Judge:

Went back to dealer today, but as imagined, he did not return the value "overcharged" and not agreed, on the remote starter, saying that I signed the loan and invoice.

They were all really mean/nasty and the sales manager kept saying: "Did you not agree to this loan amount?" and, frankly, I foolished did agree before seeing the final invoice as I was tired that day after spending almost 8 hours at the "devilship".

I tried to get the the warranty removed, and the nasty financial manager said that he could do, but I had to return weekdays from 9am to 3pm.

Question:
======
Now that they know what I want, will they give the run-around and waste my time, and even prevent me from enter the dealership, so I will never be able to remove the ext. warranty (which they said they were giving me for "free")? Can they somehow prevent me from canceling the ext. warranty? How should I proceed?

Shouldn't there be better laws to protect customers and prevent such tatics of dealers? Why isn't there?

Thank you so much for your time and attention. Really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back