Vehicle Repossession Dead father's motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsung

My father purchased a used motorcycle from a dealership a year ago. I took over payments on the bike and had been riding it for a year when he died. I had the payments coming out of my bank account automatically. He was going to give me the title after I paid it off. He died and when they called his wife about it. She told them I had it and she wanted nothing to do with the bike or loan. They called me asking me to pay it off or give it back. Probate hasn't happened yet. They told me my father wasn't supposed to sell the vehicle to anyone.

I want to know what repercussions I could suffer if I keep the bike. I know I won't have a title but that doesn't matter to me. I know they can't do anything to me financially because my name is nowhere on it. Is the worst that can happen is his widow, who I am not friends with, try to get the bike from me? The loan on it will probably be paid off in a few months through my fathers estate. The loan of which is her responsibility now.

The motorcycle does not belong to you, regardless of your payments. The motorcycle belongs to the lien holder who can repossess it at any time. If you want to keep it you had best arrange a plan to pay quickly. Perhaps take out a new loan in your name to pay off the original loan?

Whomever probates his estate should probate the title transfer. If she refuses to act, you should step up as executor. If the assets were less than $50k a small estate probate is possible. Obtain a disclaimer from her and any other heirs if no will is available. That is the means to obtain a valid title. Option B is to negotiate a repossession with the title company and you purchasing the bike at auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back