Dead beat roommate

Over_it

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello everyone and thank you for reading.

I am have a serious problem. A friend and I decided to lease a home together almost 2 years ago. Since the beginning of the lease he has never paid his half of the rent or utility's. In the past I has always paid them because I was afraid of being evicted. He eats my food, uses my household supplies and runs up the waterbill with his 45 min showers. I had asked him to leave time and time again but he just tell me his name is on the lease so he doesn't have to go. I can no longer afford this situation and I need him to vacate. Please give me some advise on how to get rid of him.

Hello everyone and thank you for reading.

I am have a serious problem. A friend and I decided to lease a home together almost 2 years ago. Since the beginning of the lease he has never paid his half of the rent or utility's. In the past I has always paid them because I was afraid of being evicted. He eats my food, uses my household supplies and runs up the waterbill with his 45 min showers. I had asked him to leave time and time again but he just tell me his name is on the lease so he doesn't have to go. I can no longer afford this situation and I need him to vacate. Please give me some advise on how to get rid of him.

You have to talk to your landlord and ask the landlord if he or she will evict the deadbeat, or if he or she will allow you to break the lease.
Be ready to pay for the privilege.

Or, you can give your landlord your notice, if you're on a month to month lease.

Don't ever take a roommate again. It starts out okay for 24 hours, but degenerates rapidly after that to what you've experienced.

Fifty percent of husbands and wives split, mate.
No wonder roommates rarely make it.

And if you really want the tenant to leave, you may wish to sue them for the rent for the past two years. This is usually what happens when tenants are joint and severally liable. Both are responsible for the entire rent and the remedy is, if one pays the entire rent in full, to sue the other for their share in court. Given the amount in question, I'd say waiting was a very poor idea but I would waste no more time.

Back