Daughter signed 2 leases

Status
Not open for further replies.

champagne

My 20 yr old daughter attends college in San Marcos, TX. She was told by her current landlord in Feb that she needed to sign a new lease right away because they were going to raise the rent and she would have to pay the higher amount if she waited. She signed the lease in Feb 2005. She then found another apt and went back to the first landlord to find out how to get out of the lease. She gave a 60 day written notice and was told that all she needed to do was to pay the sublet fee and try to find someone to take her apt. She went to the new apts and signed a lease there. Her current landlord has told her that they are reducing the rent, so now she will not be able to sublet the apartment since her rent is higher. Her current landlord has also told her that he will not rent her apt out until he rents all of the other open apts. Is she now just stuck with 2 rent payments? Any advice on how to best resolve this or at least make the financial burden less? Should we talk to one of the landlords and see if they will allow her to break the lease without having to pay the full year? I co-signed for her 1st apt and thought that she was completely out of it before I co-signed for the 2nd apt. Advice please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back