Daughter Being Harassed By Neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtisme

My 21 year old daughter "Tre" just moved into an apartment with her 8 month old son. The first week was exciting for her, being in her first apartment, but it has recently turned into a nightmare because of the neighbor living below her. Any time Tre makes a noise of any kind, the woman calls the police! The police have been called when Tre had her 3 year old nephew over for an hour, when she was talking on her cell phone in the bathroom, and hammering nails to hang curtain rods in the middle of the afternooon.The police have always left without finding anything wrong. Tre works second shift most days, with weekends off. She's walking on eggshells because she never knows what will set this woman off to call the police. Tre has tried talking to her and all the woman will say is "I'm writing a letter to management and I'm sure you won't be living here much longer" Tre understands there is a certain amount of respect needed towards other tenants (i.e. keeping music low, not having loud parties, etc.), but this woman is totally out of control. We are both really concerned about when her child begins walking in just a few months, and begins to toddle all over the house. I'm afraid the police will be called daily about that! Tre is feeling intimidated and harassed, the only advice I could give her was to document her side of the story every time there is a confrontation with the police or this woman. I don't think she needs to be living this way. Any advice will be most appreciated!

Are both apartments owned by the same landlord? What more can you tell me about the situation?

If common sense doesn't work or involving a common landlord doesn't apply, your daughter may want to write a letter, sent certied return receipt with a copy to her local precinct, setting forth what you have mentioned here. If this neighbor continues to call the police your daughter will pursue remedies for harrassment, intent to cause emotional distress, and any other legal remedies available to her. Whether you'll really ever get to that stage is a different story. ;)

jtisme said:
My 21 year old daughter "Tre" just moved into an apartment with her 8 month old son. The first week was exciting for her, being in her first apartment, but it has recently turned into a nightmare because of the neighbor living below her. Any time Tre makes a noise of any kind, the woman calls the police! The police have been called when Tre had her 3 year old nephew over for an hour, when she was talking on her cell phone in the bathroom, and hammering nails to hang curtain rods in the middle of the afternooon.The police have always left without finding anything wrong. Tre works second shift most days, with weekends off. She's walking on eggshells because she never knows what will set this woman off to call the police. Tre has tried talking to her and all the woman will say is "I'm writing a letter to management and I'm sure you won't be living here much longer" Tre understands there is a certain amount of respect needed towards other tenants (i.e. keeping music low, not having loud parties, etc.), but this woman is totally out of control. We are both really concerned about when her child begins walking in just a few months, and begins to toddle all over the house. I'm afraid the police will be called daily about that! Tre is feeling intimidated and harassed, the only advice I could give her was to document her side of the story every time there is a confrontation with the police or this woman. I don't think she needs to be living this way. Any advice will be most appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back