Dad Died 10 Years Ago.....bill now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usceng91

I live in Orange County, Calif. So did my father until he died. We buried him with the help of a Orange County mortuary. All was find, all the bills were paid...so we thought. The year was 1883. There has not been any notice of any balance due and we do not think that we kept any of
dad's paperwork. Today (June 2004) we get a bill from the mortuary asking for payment of $792 and they send a hand filled in sheet detailing that the original bill was $3792 and $3000 was paid by a life insurance policy. There are no signatures on the form.

Do I have a legal requirement to pay the $792 now?

Originally posted by usceng91
I live in Orange County, Calif. So did my father until he died. We buried him with the help of a Orange County mortuary. All was find, all the bills were paid...so we thought. The year was 1883. There has not been any notice of any balance due and we do not think that we kept any of
dad's paperwork. Today (June 2004) we get a bill from the mortuary asking for payment of $792 and they send a hand filled in sheet detailing that the original bill was $3792 and $3000 was paid by a life insurance policy. There are no signatures on the form.

Do I have a legal requirement to pay the $792 now?

Who contracted for the services?

While my father was still alive he went to the mortuary and signed all the papers and he was told that with the life insurance policy all the expenses would be covered. When he returned home, that is what we were told. As a result all of his children believed that all financial obligations were taken care of. My father died after a long battle with colon cancer. He had surgury for it but the cancer returned and that was when he went to the mortuary to arrainge for this service and take care of the costs involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back