D.A. able to throw charge out before court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmlzip

I had a question that has been on my mind for a while, maybe someone could answer. If a person was charged with a felony drug possession and the person knew was good friends with the District attorney that was to prosecute the case, hypothetically speaking, could the D.A. simply throw the charge out before the case ever got to court, even if the evidence was strong against her/him or would the D.A.'s hands be tied?

heya cmlzip

I would guess that the DA would not want to handle this case directly since he is a friend of yours. COnflict of interest would arise and he could land himself in a jackpot. Let me know what has transpired since your last submission.

cmlzip said:
I had a question that has been on my mind for a while, maybe someone could answer. If a person was charged with a felony drug possession and the person knew was good friends with the District attorney that was to prosecute the case, hypothetically speaking, could the D.A. simply throw the charge out before the case ever got to court, even if the evidence was strong against her/him or would the D.A.'s hands be tied?
Was the offender ever arrested? Technically my understanding is that the DA has discretion whether a case can and should be brought. Hypothetically it would seem possible but the DA better be willing to deal with his own potential prosecution should this conduct be placed into issue by the press, the state bar, attorney general or other agency that regulates the conduct of the DA (such as the disciplinary committee within the state.) There is usually a victim as well who will make sure that such conduct is investigated or heard by someone else who might not have such a friendship with the defendant. What's on your mind specifically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back